Steve Matthews is the President and Founder of Stem Legal Web Enterprises, a web development, publishing and strategy company for the legal profession.
In more than twenty years working within the online legal environment (including 12 years inside law firms), Steve has conceived, managed, coded and marketed law firm websites, blogs, intranets, portals and extranets. In particular, he is long recognized as one of the leading authorities on search marketing (SEO) strategies for lawyers and law firms.
Steve has been an editorial board member for the ABA’s Law Practice magazine, co-founded the award-winning group blog Slaw, and is frequently quoted throughout North America on topics and trends related to legal web technology. In 2011, Steve was inducted as a Fellow of the College of Law Practice Management.
Between 1998 and 2007, Steve was the Knowledge Services Director at a mid-sized Canadian law firm. In this role, he was the driving force behind the firm’s web strategy, including concept development, design, coding, search engine strategies and web marketing. He was a member of the firm’s technology committee, and initiated one of the earliest law firm Knowledge Management (“KM”) programs.
Steve’s educational background includes a Master of Library & Information Science from the University of Western Ontario. His academic training has included various aspects of retrieval languages, database design, cognitive science, marketing, technology and business management.
Steve remains an enthusiastic law blogger. Since 2004, he has published his thoughts on legal web technology and research on his Vancouver Law Librarian Blog. He also writes for Law Firm Web Strategy, the official blog of Stem Legal, and the Canadian legal co-op blog Slaw.ca.
- Publisher and Editor, Slaw.ca (2014 to present)
- Publisher, Canadian Law Blog Awards, Clawbies.ca (2006 to present)
- Fellow (2011), College of Law Practice Management (COLPM)
- Speaker, American Bar Association (“ABA”) TECHSHOW (2009, 2011, 2012)
- Advisory board, Attorney at Work
- Former Advisory board and Speaker, Pacific Legal Technology Conference
- Former Editorial Board Member, ABA Law Practice Magazine
- Past President, Vancouver Association of Law Libraries (VALL)
- Member, Canadian Association of Law Libraries (CALL)
- Member, American Bar Association, Law Practice Division
- IntellAction Working Group, Canadian Centre for Court Technology (CCCT)
- Former Chair, BC Legal Management Association, KM Subsection (BCLMA)
- Former Member, International Legal Technology Association (ILTA)